I made this asparagus wrapped in puff pastry for Tomiko’s 30th birthday party. They are simple but a little time consuming to assemble, but everyone loved them and we only had a few left over!
There were many other flavourful items at the birthday buffet, so I kept the seasonings on the asparagus wrapped in puff pastry rather plain. You could always brush them with an egg wash and sprinkle with salt, pepper, herbs, Parmesan, or seeds before baking. Check out Erin Gleeson’s original recipe from The Forest Feast: Simple Vegetarian Recipes from My Cabin in the Woods.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (1/2 package), thawed
- 1 lb asparagus spears
- Preheat oven to 415 F.
- Flour a flat work surface, and flour a rolling pin.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle about 30 cm x 20 cm.
- With a sharp knife, cut puff pastry into ½ cm strips. There should be one for each stalk of asparagus.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus.
- Carefully wrap one puff pastry strip around the asparagus. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.