The Chambray Jacket, designed by Ann E. Smith, was the first garment I ever crocheted myself.
Instead of using the rayon, linen, cotton blend specified in the pattern, I used Louet Euroflax Sport, a 100% linen yarn. In the middle of summer, when the heat made us have to turn on our air conditioning, I wanted to crochet something that wouldn’t leave me all sweaty! I hadn’t thought of using a linen yarn as I didn’t want something crunchy or stiff. However, after reading reviews of this yarn online, I changed my mind and bought some. And I love using this yarn! The colourway is Buttercup, a sunny yellow colour. The yarn seemed a bit wiry during the crochet, but after I washed it (and this yarn is machine washable and dryable) it really softened up, just like any other linen.
I started searching for crocheted garments made in linen on Ravelry, and found the cute and simple Chambray Jacket. After washing, the Chambray Jacket had an excellent drape and the stitch gauge evened out quite a bit. My gauge is always on the tight side, so I crocheted this with 3.75 mm and 4.0 mm hooks instead of the 2.75 and 3.25 mm hooks specified. I made the size Large.
The pattern is available from the Summer 2014 Crochet! Magazine, as well as the Crochet! Magazine Spring 2016 Special. I believe this simple chambray jacket was so named because the pattern picture in the magazine was a lovely light blue. It makes a great layering piece in the summer, and allows me to wear sleeveless tops to work when I normally wouldn’t otherwise.
I saw some of the makes on Ravelry, and I decided to add five buttons instead of the specified three. To make the buttonholes, I crocheted three chs long, but skipped just two stitches, and then proceeded as usual. The Chambray Jacket pattern calls for the jacket to be crocheted in five pieces and then seamed together; this seaming adds extra strength to the jacket itself. I sewed everything together using the almost invisible mattress stitch.
If I were to make this again, I would add single crochet increases to the front corners of the jacket. The pattern currently just states to single crochet the band around the bodice pieces; however, this makes the front corners curl.