Fennel is such a strange vegetable, all fibrous like celery but spicy like anise, and I never really gave it much thought. A few weeks ago Meinhilde brought home some fennel from her market, and I had no choice but to find a good recipe. This was also the same time that I rediscovered my love for crunchy slaws and was eager to try out a new variation, so I made this fennel slaw with garlic dressing.
Although I’m adventurous in my salad creations, I usually stick to a few great dressing recipes. This garlicky one goes with almost everything. Like other slaws, this salad is best made in advance to allow flavours to mingle and keeps well for a few days in the fridge.
- 1 bulb fennel
- 3 oranges
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- one batch Kiku Corner's Garlic Salad Dressing
- Cut off green fronds of fennel and save for later. Remove fibrous core from bulb and thinly slice the remaining white portion, placing in a large serving bowl.
- With a small sharp knife, peel and segment oranges and add to bowl.
- Squeeze the remaining orange membranes over the salad for added flavour.
- Mix in celery and green onions.
- Chop up approximately half of remaining green fronds and mix into salad.
- Toss with garlic dressing to taste.